Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Tim and I love Christmas! We are so excited to celebrate Brady's very first Christmas and have been talking about traditions we want to start as a family... here are a few ideas we are thinking of... would love to hear any other special ideas or suggestions!


1- I am all about an Advent calendar-- but instead of little trinkets it will be more of an activity calendar. We will sit down as a family each Thanksgiving and come up with something for each day... ranging from things like volunteer work, baking for friends and family, hot chocolate night, ice skating... whatever Brady's (and any future kiddos) little mind can come up with! I want it to be about family time and about giving rather than receiving! We will fold them up, mix them around and place them in a slot...each morning will be a surprise! I am in love with Pottery Barn's Advent Calendar and plan to snatch it up if it goes on sale after Christmas!! (Boo... just saw that it is no longer available...may have to make a run to the mall to see if they still have it in the store!)

2- A dated ornament each year. Growing up I got to pick out a dated Hallmark ornament each year. I absolutely LOVE that my mom did that... it is SO fun now to have my 32 dated ornaments on our tree... unwrapping each one is such a treat and brings back great memories!

3- BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS!! We are adamant about a book collection growing faster than a toy collection. December will be a month of special Christmas Stories that only come out that month. Tim has been talking about reading "The Night Before Christmas" to Brady even before he was born! We have gone a bit overboard this year and already purchased several books including "Cowboy Night Before Christmas" and "Cajun Night Before Christmas!" Tim still remembers his dad reading Cajun Night Before Christmas to him when he was a boy.




4- Gifts are a bit more tricky... I saw an idea on a blog that I really like..in fact, I am trying it this year with Tim and Brady... Brady gets four gifts from us... WANT, NEED, WEAR, READ...a gift from each category...and then of course a gift or two from Santa... I feel like this will help cut down on an excess amount of toys...plus, it helps put some extra thought in the gifts and makes it fun to shop for them! I am really excited for Tim and Brady to get their want, need, wear and read this Christmas....stay tuned for some photos after Christmas to see if it was a success!! See the cute idea and some sample tags here.

5- Decor!- The house MUST scream Christmas! We love fresh Christmas trees and took Brady to his first Christmas tree lot this year..which he loved only because he loves trees so much! It was a chilly night... perfect for tree hunting...and Mom and Dad loved the smell of all those fresh Christmas trees..puts you in the spirit! Decorating the tree as a family is a must! My big splurge this year was stockings... Timmy actually spotted some at Pottery Barn Kids that he thought were fun so we picked one out for each of us and got them monogrammed... I am crazy about them.... seeing them when I walk through the door brings a big 'ole smile to my face..especially my Brady's adorable stocking!


6-A fun, family Christmas breakfast... Daddy is going to make Christmas themed pancakes on either Christmas Eve night or late Christmas morning..still undecided.
7- and of course, a Family Christmas Card.... Brady is too cute not to be plastered all over a card.. this years card should be going out in the next day or two!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment